145: How H&R Block Uses Cause Marketing to Cultivate Tomorrow’s Clients
Today on Cause Talk Radio, Megan and Joe talk to Kathy Collins, Chief Marketing Officer for the tax preparation company H&R Block, about the company’s Dollars & Sense financial literacy program. Founded in 2009, the program gives kids of all ages the understanding they need to manage their personal finances.
On the show, Megan, Kathy, and Joe discuss:
- How H&R Block created Dollars & Sense specifically for teens. High schoolers are not financially ready for the real world when they graduate.
- How the decision to create the program was a personal. Many members of the H&R Block’s senior team had teenagers.
- The three audiences for the program: teachers, parents, and students. Parents find it harder to talk about financial planning than they do sex!
- H&R Block’s launch of the Budget Challenge a 10-week classroom program that students do on their phones to make real-world financial decisions. The winners received a $20,000 college scholarship. H&R Block gives away a total of $3 million n scholarships!
- How H&R Block got into public schools – not an easy feat!
- How H&R Block is involving employees and customers in the program, and the benefits of the program for local H&R Block reps.
- How Dollars & Sense is another example of a company leading with their own cause as opposed to partnering with a nonprofit.
- How to sell a cause marketing program to the c-suite.
Your resource for all things corporate social impact, CSR, and brand purpose.
Join Alli Murphy as she interviews top corporate leaders, nonprofit pros, and people who help them advance their careers and organizations. You’ll be inspired by the strategies change-makers follow to build win-win partnerships and campaigns and their actionable advice for advancing your career and developing your social impact team. Subscribe now to learn from the best and get ideas you can implement today!