155: How One Sub Sandwich Chain Raised $8M for 180 Charities
Today on Cause Talk Radio, Megan and Joe talk to Dave Altmann, Senior Vice President, Strategic Initiatives, Jersey Mike’s, a sub sandwich franchise with 1,500 stores open and under development nationwide.
In March 2015, Jersey Mike’s celebrated its 5th Annual Month of Giving, a national fundraising campaign, raising more than $3 million for 180 local charities. Since the program started five years ago, Jersey Mike’s and its generous customers have raised more than $8 million. They’ll be adding to this number next month!
On the show, Megan, Dave and Joe discuss:
- How Mike’s started their Month of Giving Program. Giving back is built into the company’s culture and from its founding.
- How the month of giving peaks with a Day of Giving when ALL the dollars from all sales go to charity. This generates more than 50 percent of the dollars raised in March.
- How customers can support the program either via an ask at the register or a donation box.
- How friendly competitions between stores keeps motivation high!
- How Mike’s corporate office guides new franchisees through the Month of Giving program and choosing a charity.
- How Mike’s deals with store owners who want to support controversial causes.
- How much does cause contribute to the success of Jersey Mike’s.
- How Mike’s uses cause marketing to find the right franchisee partners. If they don’t support giving back, they may not make a good partner.
- How charity partners participate in the program.
- How Mike’s educates a large group of franchise owners about the Month of Giving.
- How Mike’s uses incentives with franchise owners and customers to boost involvement.
Links & Notes
Your resource for all things corporate social impact, CSR, and brand purpose.
Join Alli Murphy as she interviews top corporate leaders, nonprofit pros, and people who help them advance their careers and organizations. You’ll be inspired by the strategies change-makers follow to build win-win partnerships and campaigns and their actionable advice for advancing your career and developing your social impact team. Subscribe now to learn from the best and get ideas you can implement today!