157: Pizza Hut’s Cause Marketing Brings in the Dough for Young Readers
Today on Cause Talk Radio, Megan and Joe are talking to Natasha Collins, BOOK IT! Program Administrator at Pizza Hut. BOOK IT! is a free program designed to encourage students in grades K–6 to read more by earning a reading award certificate for a free, one-topping personal pan pizza from Pizza Hut. Talk about early adopters: Pizza Hut launched the BOOK IT! program in 1984!
On the show, Megan, Natasha and I discuss:
- How BOOK IT! got started way back in 1984 by a former president who wanted his son to read more!
- How the program works with reading teachers, students and local Pizza Hut restaurants.
- How simplicity, commitment and community engagement have kept the program running so long.
- How the program benefits Pizza Hut by creating a strong, literate workforce.
- How Natasha manages the BOOK IT! program with a six-person team and a year-long calendar of promotion, enrollment and participation.
- How the program has evolved over the years and what BOOK IT! has done to keep the program fresh. This year, BOOK IT! has involved children’s author Kate DiCamillo.
- How and why Natasha to BOOK IT! after a successful career at public relations giant FleishmanHillard.
- How the BOOK IT! program fits into the overall structure of Pizza Huts’ CSR efforts within the YUM! brand, which is their parent company.
Links & Notes
Your resource for all things corporate social impact, CSR, and brand purpose.
Join Alli Murphy as she interviews top corporate leaders, nonprofit pros, and people who help them advance their careers and organizations. You’ll be inspired by the strategies change-makers follow to build win-win partnerships and campaigns and their actionable advice for advancing your career and developing your social impact team. Subscribe now to learn from the best and get ideas you can implement today!