180: How Pencils of Promise Does the Most Good by Focusing on Impact
Today on Cause Talk Radio, Megan and Joe talk to Leslie Engle Young, Director of Impact at Pencils of Promise (PoP), about how the how organization has become a top philanthropic brand by smashing its goal of increasing access to quality education for children in the developing world.
On the show, Megan, Leslie and Joe discuss:
- How Leslie got involved with PoP – and she owes it all to Bob Dylan!
- Why PoP created a position specifically focused on impact. Should other nonprofits have this role?
- What metrics does Leslie measure to determine PoP’s effectiveness? Focus is on outcomes not outputs.
- How important is data to PoP?
- How PoP moves a new program from Pilot to Beta toIntegration.
- PoP’s quarterly transparency report and why an annual reports wasn’t enough. “We want people to see where we are succeeding and where we are struggling.”
- How PoP communicates with its stakeholders.
- PoP’s WASH program that teaches kids about WATER, SANITATION and HYGIENE. “If you’re not healthy you can’t/won’t go to school!”
- The challenges of being a metric-focused and data-driven organaztion that works in the Third World.
- What are PoP’s 2017 goals?
Links & Notes
Your resource for all things corporate social impact, CSR, and brand purpose.
Join Alli Murphy as she interviews top corporate leaders, nonprofit pros, and people who help them advance their careers and organizations. You’ll be inspired by the strategies change-makers follow to build win-win partnerships and campaigns and their actionable advice for advancing your career and developing your social impact team. Subscribe now to learn from the best and get ideas you can implement today!