CECP Uncovers the Value of Workplace Volunteering
CECP, or Chief Executives for Corporate Purpose, is a CEO-led coalition that believes a company’s social strategy – how it engages with key stakeholders including employees, communities, investors, and customers – determines company success. A critical component of CECP’s work involves measuring and benchmarking cutting-edge work in CSR and purpose, from overall corporate philanthropy to volunteer programs. One of the organization’s latest reports, Value Volunteering, explores the multi-layered inputs and outputs of workplace volunteer initiatives.
To learn more about volunteering and purpose within corporates today, Purpose 360 welcomed Carmen Perez, former Senior Director of Data Insights at CECP; Lalita Badinehal, former VP of Corporate Citizenship at Credit Suisse; and Matthew Nelson, AVP Corporate Responsibility at New York Life Insurance Company.
Listen for insights from Carmen, Lalita, and Matthew on:
- Why corporate volunteering initiatives should be rooted in community needs, and how that grounding supports ongoing participation and program impact.
- The motivations behind workplace volunteering initiatives, and the shared value generated for companies and their employees, beneficiary organizations, and communities.
- How volunteering initiatives affect consumer sentiment and drive objectives around reputation and trust.
Links & Notes
- Data Insights at CECP
- CECP Resources
- Download Value Volunteering
- Carmen Perez on LinkedIn
- Lalita Badinehal on LinkedIn
- Matthew Nelson on LinkedIn
- 00:00 – Welcome to Purpose 360
- 01:01 – CECP
- 03:07 – CECP Today
- 04:03 – The Report – Why Now?
- 05:22 – Lalita
- 07:57 – Matthew
- 09:39 – High Level Results
- 11:31 – What does a successful workplace volunteering program look like?
- 14:29 – Being Authentic
- 15:47 – Measurement Strategies
- 19:09 – In the Know
- 24:10 – Communicating the Increase in Volunteering
- 26:31 – Working With Agents
- 29:46 – Built In & Built For
- 32:38 – Volunteering vs. Training Programs
- 35:10 – Changes Because of Covid
- 38:05 – Other Keys in Value Volunteering
- 40:02 – Three Levels of Measurement
- 44:11 – Final Comments
- 49:20 – Wrap Up
Business is an unlikely hero: a force for good working to solve society's most pressing challenges, while boosting bottom line. This is social purpose at work. And it's a dynamic journey.
Purpose 360 is a masterclass in unlocking the potential of social purpose to ignite business and social impact. We illuminate the growing impacts of purpose, from engaging employees and fostering deeper consumer loyalty to inspiring product innovation and increasing market share.