As we know, change is hard for everyone, but if you’ve had a high conflict individual in your life, you know that change for them is seemingly impossible. Our minds tell us that they’re doing it on purpose or at least partially so; and that they can change if they’d just choose that route. But is that a reality? If we start with the premise that people with high conflict personalities don’t even know they have such a thing, why would change?
In this episode, Bill and Megan talk about:
- whether people with high conflict personalities know they’re such
- whether people with high conflict personalities can change
- if change is possible:
- what is the likelihood of change
- what it takes to help them change, such as therapy, programs, those around them
- how to approach someone with a high conflict personality HCP about their need for change and whether you should ever do that
NOTE: We are not diagnosing or labeling anyone and neither should anyone listening to this podcast. Instead, we focus on what to do to help.
Links & Other Notes
- 5 Types of People Who Can Ruin Your Life
- The Dialectical Behavior Therapy Wellness Planner
- The Borderline Personality Disorder Wellness Planner for Families
Our website: https://www.highconflictinstitute.com/
All of our books can be found in our online store or anywhere books are sold, including as e-books.
You can also find these show notes at our site as well.
Note: We are not diagnosing anyone in our discussions, merely discussing patterns of behavior.
Each week, Bill Eddy and Megan Hunter will be exploring the five types of people who can ruin your life — people with high conflict personalities — and how they weave themselves into our lives in romance, at work, next door, at school, places of worship, and just about everywhere, causing chaos, exhaustion, and dread for everyone else.