Who Are High Conflict People?
In today’s episode, we look at what makes up a high conflict person and talk about EAR Statements.
Blamers. Narcissists. Accusers. Ragers. These are all people who may fall into the category of High Conflict Personality. Most of us don’t act this way, but these people don’t often realize they’re acting this way and can’t control themselves. So should you engage? Or should you learn how to deal with them? If you guessed the latter, you’d be right.
Many people say these people are unpredictable, but Megan and Bill talk about how these people actually are very predictable… if you know what to look for. Several things can lead to people becoming HCPs. It could be genetic or could come from how they were raised. And because of this, HCPs can exist anywhere in the world. So how do you deal with them?
Well, the first step is learning to identify them. They will usually blame anyone but themselves, and they’ll never be able to connect the dots back to themselves. They rarely take responsibility for their own actions. But the feelings are so strongly in them that they can’t have their mind changed. Once you realize you’re dealing with an HCP, definitely don’t tell them they’re an HCP. It’s likely going to trigger them further.
If you’re in a situation with an HCP, try an EAR Statement.
Empathy. Attention Respect. These tools may seem opposite to how you’d normally deal with a person who is confronting you, but remember, you’re not an HCP. The HCP needs this so you can get out of the situation you’re in. It’s hard, but give it a try.
We’d love to hear your stories so we can talk through them on the show! Please visit our site and click the Submit a Question button at the top of the page. You can also send us an email at [email protected] or send us a note on any of our socials.
Please rate, review and share this show!
Links & Other Notes
- Submit a Question for Bill and Megan
- Article – ‘What is a High Conflict Individual’
- Article – ‘Calming Upset People Fast with an EAR Statement™’
- Online course for attorneys/judges – Understanding & Managing High Conflict People in Legal Disputes
- Online course for anyone – Calming Upset People with an EAR Statement
- Online Course: Who Are High Conflict People?
- Book: 5 Types of People Who Can Ruin Your Life
- Book: Calming Upset People with EAR
- All of our books can be found in our online store or anywhere books are sold, including as e-books.
You can also find these show notes at highconflictinstitute.com/podcast as well.
- 00:00 – Welcome to It’s All Your Fault
- 01:41 – What is a High Conflict Person?
- 05:28 – Why and How are HCPs Different?
- 08:48 – Why Are They Like This and Why Don’t They Change?
- 12:43 – Why They Blame
- 15:24 – How to Deal With HCPs
- 20:16 – Getting Hooked
- 24:09 – Breaking Down Megan’s Story
- 27:44 – Using EAR Statements
- 32:13 – Reminders & Coming Next Week: BIFF Response
Each week, Bill Eddy and Megan Hunter will be exploring the five types of people who can ruin your life — people with high conflict personalities — and how they weave themselves into our lives in romance, at work, next door, at school, places of worship, and just about everywhere, causing chaos, exhaustion, and dread for everyone else.