Living Up to the Expectations of Your Children with Alan and Elijah VanderMolen
Stakeholder expectations of companies today are clear: They must serve a purpose beyond profit alone, and they must do so authentically. One stakeholder group leading the call for purpose-driven business is young professionals. Increasingly, they’re seeking out internships and then careers with organizations that align with their values and personal purpose. Today’s business leaders hoping to capture this nascent talent must ensure their organizations are operating with purpose at the core.
To better understand what the next generation of talent wants, and how companies today are responding, we invited a father-son team to Purpose 360. Alan VanderMolen, CCO of SC Johnson, the company with the purpose goal to be the planet’s most trusted, and Elijah VanderMolen, a junior at NYU studying Public Policy and Environmental Studies, joined the show to share their insights and experiences.
Listen for Alan and Elijah’s insights on:
- Why we should ask how to live up to the expectations of our children.
- The best ways to reach and engage Gen Z, especially when it comes to sustainability.
- Cultivating a sustainability and purpose mindset at home and in the workplace.
- The danger of purpose washing today and the importance of authentically acting and reporting on purpose claims.
Links & Notes
- 00:00 – Welcome to Purpose 360
- 00:12 – Intro to Alan & Eli VanderMolen
- 03:19 – Backgrounds
- 08:22 – Importance of Sustainability
- 10:38 – Values
- 15:04 – Influences
- 17:44 – What’s Happening in SC Johnson
- 22:31 – How Companies Should Reach Out
- 26:30 – Getting This Type of Job
- 31:29 – External Advice
- 35:42 – Advice for Each Other
- 38:06 – Future Plans
- 38:35 – Last Thoughts
- 41:41 – Wrap Up
Business is an unlikely hero: a force for good working to solve society's most pressing challenges, while boosting bottom line. This is social purpose at work. And it's a dynamic journey.
Purpose 360 is a masterclass in unlocking the potential of social purpose to ignite business and social impact. We illuminate the growing impacts of purpose, from engaging employees and fostering deeper consumer loyalty to inspiring product innovation and increasing market share.