Doing “Immense Good” with Founders Pledge co-founder David Goldberg
It’s fitting that the 100th episode of Purpose 360 features an organization helping more businesses be a force for good. Founders Pledge, a nonprofit organization with a mission to “empower entrepreneurs to do immense good,” leverages a unique model to enable founders to direct a portion of personal proceeds to vetted charities and initiatives.
To talk about Founders Pledge and the incredible impact the organization achieved in 2020, we welcomed to the show David Goldberg, Co-Founder and CEO.
Listen for David’s insights on:
- How Founders Pledge harnesses the innate problem-solving nature of entrepreneurs to address some of society’s biggest challenges
- Why making a commitment via Founders Pledge inspires many entrepreneurs to infuse purpose in their own companies
- How the organization applies a venture capital lens to philanthropic giving efforts, and why data is vital to direct dollars to initiatives that will produce the greatest return for society
Links & Notes
- 00:00 – Welcome to Purpose 360
- 06:50 – Intro to David Goldberg, Founder’s Pledge
- 08:35 – Who is David Goldberg? What’s his Purpose?
- 10:27 – Where Founder’s Pledge Is Today
- 11:31 – How It Works
- 14:49 – During COVID
- 17:30 – The Pitch
- 20:15 – The VC Community
- 23:05 – Immense Good
- 23:50 – Example
- 27:46 – Climate Cohort, Events and More
- 30:37 – Example
- 34:17 – The Analytics
- 35:13 – Member Demographics
- 36:20 – Challenges Along the Way
- 38:12 – Companies With Purpose at Their Core
- 39:35 – Another Success Story
- 43:17 – Getting on Their Radar as a Nonprofit
- 45:15 – Becoming More Institutionalized
- 47:16 – Becoming a Member
- 48:49 – Range of Donations
- 49:17 – Anyone Can Donate
- 50:41 – Last Thoughts
Business is an unlikely hero: a force for good working to solve society's most pressing challenges, while boosting bottom line. This is social purpose at work. And it's a dynamic journey.
Purpose 360 is a masterclass in unlocking the potential of social purpose to ignite business and social impact. We illuminate the growing impacts of purpose, from engaging employees and fostering deeper consumer loyalty to inspiring product innovation and increasing market share.