Creating a Future with More Cheers at Anheuser-Busch
Anheuser-Busch has been making beer for 170 years. But even with legacy brands that have stood the test of time, like Budweiser and Stella Artois, Anheuser-Busch is a company in constant pursuit of a better, more sustainable future.
Sometimes a company’s purpose needs to be refreshed in order for it to remain relevant and meaningful both internally and externally. At the start of 2022, Anheuser-Busch launched its new purpose: We dream big to create a future with more cheers. From creation and piloting to introducing and activating, Anheuser-Busch ensured that this purpose reflected the company’s history while being meaningful to both employees and customers into the future.
We invited César Vargas, U.S. Chief External Affairs Officer, and Lindsay King, U.S. Chief People Officer, to discuss how the purpose came to be, ways internal and external stakeholders were engaged, and how they activate purpose so Anheuser-Busch will serve its beers for another 170 years.
Listen for César and Lindsay’s insights on:
- How to pilot a new purpose to ensure it resonates with employees across an enterprise.
- Why it’s important to create a strong foundation for internal engagement.
- How to inspire employees to serve as ambassadors for your company and its purpose.
- Why consistency in communicating purpose lends greater meaning.
Resources + Links:
- César Vargas on LinkedIn
- Lindsay King on LinkedIn
- Anheuser-Busch’s Ten Principles
- “It’s Time to Dream Big and Create a Future with More Cheers”
- “We’re taking flight. Here’s to our next chapter” video
- (00:00) – Welcome to Purpose 360
- (00:13) – Anheuser Busch
- (05:52) – Meet César and Lindsay
- (08:26) – Why Purpose?
- (12:31) – Why the Refresh?
- (13:17) – The New Purpose Statement
- (15:42) – Using Old and New
- (17:50) – Testing and Using It
- (19:20) – Personal Values & Company Values
- (20:26) – How Are They Embedding It
- (21:10) – Internal and External
- (23:44) – Interaction
- (25:37) – Activating It
- (29:14) – Employees That Live the Purpose
- (32:08) – Helping One Another
- (35:07) – Social Justice
- (42:21) – Measurements
- (46:02) – The Great Resignation
- (46:39) – Top Insights
- (50:21) – Final Thoughts
- (52:39) – Wrap Up
Business is an unlikely hero: a force for good working to solve society's most pressing challenges, while boosting bottom line. This is social purpose at work. And it's a dynamic journey.
Purpose 360 is a masterclass in unlocking the potential of social purpose to ignite business and social impact. We illuminate the growing impacts of purpose, from engaging employees and fostering deeper consumer loyalty to inspiring product innovation and increasing market share.