Open Hiring for Wide Open Dreams with Greyston
“We don’t hire people to bake brownies. We bake brownies to hire people.”
Greyston, a for-profit benefit corporation, is committed to unlocking the power of human potential through inclusive employment, one person at a time. Founder Bernie Glassman built Greyston bakery to hire people who faced barriers to employment. His solution was simple: Anyone with a desire to work would be added to a list and called when there was a position available. No interviews, no background checks, and no resumes required.
More than 40 years later, Greyston has benefited thousands of workers, their families, and communities through open hiring. And the company isn’t stopping there. Its new ten-year vision is to impact 100,000 people by helping other organizations implement inclusive hiring practices.
We invited Joseph Kenner, President and CEO, to speak to the present and future of Greyston and how inclusive hiring can benefit your organization.
Listen for insights on:
- Why open and inclusive hiring won’t compromise professionalism and efficiency
- Organizations that have successfully adopted open and inclusive hiring practices
- The business impact of open and inclusive hiring
Resources + Links:
- Joseph Kenner’s LinkedIn
- Open Hiring at Greyston
- Wide Open Dreams Trailer
- Forbes: “How A Bakery Is Breaking Down Barriers To Employment Through Open Hiring And Job-Development Programs”
- Forbes: “Joseph Kenner, CEO, Greyston: The Changemaker Interview”
- CEO Magazine: “Greyston CEO shares six reasons for your company to consider open hiring in 2023”
Business is an unlikely hero: a force for good working to solve society's most pressing challenges, while boosting bottom line. This is social purpose at work. And it's a dynamic journey.
Purpose 360 is a masterclass in unlocking the potential of social purpose to ignite business and social impact. We illuminate the growing impacts of purpose, from engaging employees and fostering deeper consumer loyalty to inspiring product innovation and increasing market share.