Pioneering an Industry with Levi Strauss & Co.
You know those Levi’s in your closet have a storied history—but did you know about the more sustainable future they’re building?
Levi Strauss & Co., the iconic brand behind blue jeans (and now a robust catalog of apparel, shoes, and accessories) has a pioneering approach to purpose and sustainability. Rightly so, as the apparel industry is by nature a resource-intensive one. Yet, Levi’s has leveraged purpose as a north star to revolutionize its entire supply chain, from the cotton (and now hemp) it uses to how products are reused or recycled at the end of their useful life.
To discuss purpose at Levi’s, Purpose 360 welcomes Kelly McGinnis, SVP and Chief Communications Officer at Levi Strauss & Co.
Listen for Kelly’s insights on:
- How breakthrough sustainability initiatives like WATER
- How Levi’s leverages its iconic brand and loyal following to advance key social issues such as voter’s rights, and how it engages employees in doing so.
- Why Levi’s takes a stand on contentious social issues such as gun violence, and how it backs up its position with initiatives that enact grassroots change.
Links & Notes
- About Levi Strauss & Co.
- Values at Levi Strauss & Co.
- Sustainability at Levi Strauss & Co.
- Kelly McGinnis on LinkedIn
- Levi Strauss & Co. 2019 Sustainability Review
- 00:00 – Welcome to Purpose 360
- 00:55 – Kelly McGinnis – Levi Strauss
- 03:45 – Kelly’s Background
- 05:18 – How to Listen Authentically
- 08:52 – Chip Getting Up to Speed
- 13:40 – Insights to Transformation
- 19:24 – The Numbers
- 21:35 – Sustainable Innovation Built Around Values
- 24:29 – History Playing Into Purpose
- 27:02 – Internal Activism
- 29:59 – Wrapping Up Part I
- 30:33 – Levis 2020 Vote PSA with Hailey Bieber and Oge Egbuonu
Business is an unlikely hero: a force for good working to solve society's most pressing challenges, while boosting bottom line. This is social purpose at work. And it's a dynamic journey.
Purpose 360 is a masterclass in unlocking the potential of social purpose to ignite business and social impact. We illuminate the growing impacts of purpose, from engaging employees and fostering deeper consumer loyalty to inspiring product innovation and increasing market share.