Taking the Organic Dream Mainstream Part 2
Natural and organic foods are pantry staples for most consumers today. But the movement is taking on new meaning—and urgency—as societies better understand the link between the food we eat and the health of our planet.
Mark Retzloff is one of the pioneers of the natural, organic, and sustainable food industry. Over his 5+ decades in the industry, Mark has started, led, and managed a roster of big-name natural food and beverage brands, including Horizon Organic Dairy, Alfalfa’s Markets, Aurora Organic Dairy, and more. Today, Mark leads Flock, an organization aimed at fast-tracking innovations in regenerative agriculture through investments, a network of experts, and an accelerator program with Techstars, among other initiatives.
Listen for Mark’s insights on:
- How he co-founded Horizon Organic Dairy (at a time when organic wasn’t a thing) and scaled it to be one of the nation’s leading dairy brands
- Why listening to consumers is vital on a journey to disrupt big, traditional industries like agriculture and food
- How the power of holding onto a dream can help innovators navigate challenges and execute on visions
Links & Notes
- (00:00) – Welcome to Purpose 360
- (00:53) – Mark Retzloff Part II
- (02:01) – Advice to Young Entrepreneurs and Companies
- (05:05) – Picking the Team
- (07:43) – Determining Who to Give Advice to
- (09:29) – In the Know
- (12:53) – Flock
- (15:27) – What Is Regenerative Ag?
- (16:59) – Partnering With Techstars on Regenerative Ag
- (26:02) – Three Things
- (31:13) – In Closing
Business is an unlikely hero: a force for good working to solve society's most pressing challenges, while boosting bottom line. This is social purpose at work. And it's a dynamic journey.
Purpose 360 is a masterclass in unlocking the potential of social purpose to ignite business and social impact. We illuminate the growing impacts of purpose, from engaging employees and fostering deeper consumer loyalty to inspiring product innovation and increasing market share.