Taking the Unreasonable Path to Purpose with Daniel Epstein • Part 1
At Unreasonable, impatience is a virtue. That’s because the most pressing social-global challenges of our day require immediate action, and the relentless pursuit of solutions can literally save lives.
To learn more, we spoke with Daniel Epstein, founder of the Unreasonable Group, an organization working to solve some of the world’s toughest challenges by investing in bright ideas and early-stage social enterprises. Today, Unreasonable has a community of more than 240 companies across 180 countries, which have collectively impacted nearly 550 million lives.
Listen for Daniel’s insights on:
- The value of polarities in addressing challenges—confidence vs humility, patience vs impatience, collaboration vs independence—and how balancing often opposing mindsets can accelerate progress.
- How culture, especially in early-stage companies, truly does “eat strategy for breakfast,” and how to scale an authentic culture during rapid growth.
- Why and how Unreasonable has partnered with big companies like Goldman Sachs to help find and scale ideas.
Links & Notes
- Unreasonable Stories
- Unreasonable Group Companies
- About Daniel Epstein
- Daniel Epstein on LinkedIn
- 00:00 – Welcome to Purpose 360
- 00:53 – Guest Danel Epstein
- 02:58 – Being Unreasonable
- 05:30 – Who Is Daniel Epstein?
- 11:25 – From Institute to Group
- 13:46 – Favorite Values
- 17:04 – Why Are These Values Important to Success?
- 19:10 – In the Know
- 24:50 – Partnership with Barclay
- 29:04 – Barclay’s Shift
- 30:48 – Other Examples of Companies Mentored & Flourishing
- 33:07 – Communicating With the Bank
- 35:32 – Finding Wisdom at the Bank
- 36:58 – Another Partnership Example
- 41:15 – Finding New Directions and Partners
Business is an unlikely hero: a force for good working to solve society's most pressing challenges, while boosting bottom line. This is social purpose at work. And it's a dynamic journey.
Purpose 360 is a masterclass in unlocking the potential of social purpose to ignite business and social impact. We illuminate the growing impacts of purpose, from engaging employees and fostering deeper consumer loyalty to inspiring product innovation and increasing market share.