Achieving More at Microsoft
Since pioneering personal computing, Microsoft has continued to push the boundaries of innovation through its growing suite of products and services. With more than 75 million customers, 160,000 employees, and presence in 190 countries, Microsoft is truly a technology behemoth. So, it’s no surprise that the company has a long list of global social impact commitments, ranging from digital inclusion initiatives and rural broadband access to robust employee engagement programs.
To talk about all things “good” at Microsoft, we spoke with Kate Behncken, Vice President and Lead of Microsoft Philanthropies. Listen for Kate’s insights on:
- How Microsoft focuses its far-reaching social impact efforts, ensuring every program ladders up to corporate purpose and values, while having localized, meaningful impact.
- Why Microsoft places employees at the center of many of its social impact programs, and how their ideas are instrumental to the pursuit of the company’s purpose.
- How Microsoft brings digital “skilling” initiatives to life around the world, for beneficiaries ranging from urban children to adults in rural areas.
- The role of innovation in purpose, including examples such as Xbox’s adaptive controller for disabled gamers.
Links & Notes
- 00:00 – Welcome to Purpose 360
- 01:02 – Microsoft Philanthropies • Kate Behncken
- 02:44 – Reimagining a Better Future Together
- 04:58 – Microsoft Philanthropies
- 06:07 – Kate’s Journey Through Microsoft
- 09:17 – Areas of Focus
- 11:01 – The Numbers
- 13:28 – COVID Response
- 18:34 – Making Online Collaborations Work Better
- 20:38 – Programatic Focus Areas
- 23:00 – TEALS
- 25:32 – Sharing Ownership
- 27:01 – 25 Million Initiative
- 29:51 – Protecting Fundamental Rights
- 33:06 – In the Know
- 41:02 – Going Carbon Negative
- 42:52 – Providing Meaning and Adaptive Controllers
- 44:21 – Employee Giving & Matching
- 47:18 – AI for Good
- 48:51 – Three Insights
- 53:09 – Closing Comments
Business is an unlikely hero: a force for good working to solve society's most pressing challenges, while boosting bottom line. This is social purpose at work. And it's a dynamic journey.
Purpose 360 is a masterclass in unlocking the potential of social purpose to ignite business and social impact. We illuminate the growing impacts of purpose, from engaging employees and fostering deeper consumer loyalty to inspiring product innovation and increasing market share.