Learning the ‘New Rules of Business’ with Judy Samuelson
“Business as usual” is no longer viable—the landscape has changed, the definition of success has shifted, and the responsibilities of a business now land far beyond merely generating profit. It’s this thesis that frames the insights in a new book called The Six New Rules of Business.
To talk about these insights and more, we welcomed to the show author Judy Samuelson, Founder and Executive Director of the The Aspen Institute Business + Society Program, and Vice President of The Aspen Institute. Beyond sharing what those six new rules are, Judy spoke about the Institute’s work to gather diverse, nonpartisan thought leaders, scholars, creatives, and members of the public to address some of the world’s most complex societal problems.
Listen for Judy’s insights on:
- The forces reshaping the role of business and value creation, and what purpose-driven leaders today need to understand about those forces
- Why employees are a business’s greatest “ally” and accountability mechanism, and how they are aligned with the long-term health of an enterprise
- Why purpose is “ground zero” and an organizing principle for a business’s activity and growth
Links & Notes
- 00:00 – Welcome to Purpose 360
- 01:08 – Judy Samuelson, The Aspen Institute
- 03:56 – The Aspen Institute
- 05:16 – Who Is Susan Samuelson and Why Does She Does What She Does?
- 06:55 – Writing the Book
- 08:08 – The Six New Rules of Business
- 11:48 – Chapter 2: Purpose
- 15:46 – In the Know
- 20:32 – Defining Stakeholders
- 21:54 – Boards and Purpose
- 24:18 – Rule 3: Corporate Responsibility
- 28:54 – Connecting Purpose, Strategy, & Capital Allocation
- 31:54 – Rule 5: Culture Is King
- 35:06 – Microsoft’s Culture
- 37:29 – Measuring Intangibles
- 42:30 – The Role of CEOs Today in Activism
- 48:26 – Lessons Learned Through COVID
- 52:51 – Younger Influencers on the Market
- 55:08 – Last Thoughts
- 59:10 – Top Takeaways
- 01:01:35 – Wrapping Up
Business is an unlikely hero: a force for good working to solve society's most pressing challenges, while boosting bottom line. This is social purpose at work. And it's a dynamic journey.
Purpose 360 is a masterclass in unlocking the potential of social purpose to ignite business and social impact. We illuminate the growing impacts of purpose, from engaging employees and fostering deeper consumer loyalty to inspiring product innovation and increasing market share.