Uniting Purpose and Data to Eradicate Hunger
For many of us, issues like malnutrition or access to clean water are difficult to fathom. For the team at Action Against Hunger, a global nonprofit, these issues are part of their daily work —and the lives of millions of children hinge on how successfully they carry out their purpose.
Action Against Hunger’s work has always been critical, but recent data from the State of Food Security and Nutrition in the World reports that world hunger increased by roughly 10% in 2020. To talk about this age-old purpose that has troubling new relevance, we welcomed to the show Dr. Charles Owubah, CEO of Action Against Hunger.
Listen for Charles’s insights on:
- How Action Against Hunger is applying bold solutions and working to scale evidence-based programs that address hunger from various angles—from combatting drought to empowering mothers to monitor their children’s nutritional wellbeing.
- Why Action Against Hunger applies a business lens to achieving its mission (for example, by demonstrating how $1 invested in hunger programming returns $16 to the economy), and how they bring partners along on the journey.
- The role of data in combatting humanitarian crises like hunger, and how Action Against Hunger is innovating new approaches to data and technology to improve operational efficacy and transform key parts of the humanitarian and development sector.
Links & Notes
- About Action Against Hunger
- Dr. Charles E. Owubah on LinkedIn
- Impact Stories
- Support Action Against Hunger
- How Nonprofits Can Help Tackle Three of the World’s Top Challenges
- 00:00 – Welcome to Purpose 360
- 01:08 – Charles Owubah – Action Against Hunger
- 03:24 – Hunger Today
- 04:49 – Consortium of Hunger Organizations
- 08:00 – Charles’ Background
- 10:45 – Working Together
- 13:01 – The Organization
- 16:10 – Back in the Field
- 19:13 – Extremes in Climate
- 21:44 – New Tech Data
- 24:49 – Innovative Programs
- 27:37 – Staying Relevant
- 31:47 – Donors
- 33:35 – Other Uses of Data
- 35:03 – What a Partner Looks Like
- 38:49 – Impact From Being in the Field
- 40:41 – Profile of Younger Donors
- 43:00 – Things for NGO Leaders to Embrace in Post-COVID World
- 45:11 – What Drives Charles
- 47:11 – Charles’ Final Words
- 48:31 – Wrapping Up
Business is an unlikely hero: a force for good working to solve society's most pressing challenges, while boosting bottom line. This is social purpose at work. And it's a dynamic journey.
Purpose 360 is a masterclass in unlocking the potential of social purpose to ignite business and social impact. We illuminate the growing impacts of purpose, from engaging employees and fostering deeper consumer loyalty to inspiring product innovation and increasing market share.