Listener Question! Common Misconceptions About Divorce
Common Misconceptions in Divorce? Yeah, There Are Just a Few…
Last week, we read a note from a listener asking to clear up some common misconceptions in the world of divorce. Today, we’ve invited Sterling Lovelady, one of the attorneys from the offices of NLG, to join Seth and Pete in a conversation clearing up some of these many misconceptions.
Some of the misconceptions they address in today’s episode include:
- The moms always get custody
- Legal separation is always the first step to getting a divorce
- I had the job so I get the retirement money
- Cheating spouses will be punished
- Marital assets and debts are split 50/50
- You can withhold visitation rights if the other parent fails to pay child support
And more. Tune in for this response to one of our listeners who had some of these very questions. Likely, you may have some of the same!
Links & Notes
- Follow Sterling on Instagram
- Schedule a consult with Seth
- Got a question you want to ask on the show? Click here!
Seth Nelson is a Tampa based family lawyer known for devising creative solutions to difficult problems. In How to Split a Toaster, Nelson and co-host Pete Wright take on the challenge of divorce with a central objective — saving your most important relationships with your family, your former spouse, and yourself.