Today on Cause Talk Radio, Megan and Joe are talking to Natasha Collins, BOOK IT! Program Administrator at Pizza Hut. BOOK IT! is a free program designed to encourage students in grades K–6 to read more by earning a reading award certificate for a free, one-topping personal pan pizza from Pizza Hut. Talk about early adopters: Pizza Hut launched the BOOK IT! program in 1984!
On the show, Megan, Natasha and I discuss:
- How BOOK IT! got started way back in 1984 by a former president who wanted his son to read more!
- How the program works with reading teachers, students and local Pizza Hut restaurants.
- How simplicity, commitment and community engagement have kept the program running so long.
- How the program benefits Pizza Hut by creating a strong, literate workforce.
- How Natasha manages the BOOK IT! program with a six-person team and a year-long calendar of promotion, enrollment and participation.
- How the program has evolved over the years and what BOOK IT! has done to keep the program fresh. This year, BOOK IT! has involved children’s author Kate DiCamillo.
- How and why Natasha to BOOK IT! after a successful career at public relations giant FleishmanHillard.
- How the BOOK IT! program fits into the overall structure of Pizza Huts’ CSR efforts within the YUM! brand, which is their parent company.
Links & Notes