Venmo, GoFundMe, Guns, Brands And Charities
In this episode of CauseTalk Radio, Megan and Joe discuss all sorts of social impact, top-of-mind happenings including:
- A cautionary tale of how Carson King inadvertently turned Venmo into a massive fundraising platform for a children’s hospital and grabbed brand love (then hate) along the way from Busch Lite.
- How charities have a love/hate relationship with GoFundMe and how some have even turned the platform into a springboard into the creation of a brand new charity (albeit one that’s building a wall along the U.S./Mexico border).
- How consumers are turning to activism in the face of government inaction and mistrust and how brands like Levi’s and DICK’s Sporting Goods want a piece of that pie.
- A new study that debates whether it’s best to share facts or stories to convey an important message
- Much more!
Links & Notes
- How Busch Lite’s Donation To Children’s Hospital Took The Wrong Turn
- When GoFundMe Gets Ugly (The Atlantic)
- Kellogg Research: Facts vs. Storytelling
- CEO Letter On Gun Control
- 00:21 – Support CTR and get a free audiobook!
- 01:25 – Carson King is out of beer
- 09:58 – GoFundMe gets ugly
- 15:08 – Sponsor: AudibleTrial.com/CauseTalkRadio
- 16:42 – When goveernments fail to act.
- 24:01 – Pink ain’t what it used to be
- 24:23 – The importance of storytelling, but what about facts?
Your resource for all things corporate social impact, CSR, and brand purpose.
Join Alli Murphy as she interviews top corporate leaders, nonprofit pros, and people who help them advance their careers and organizations. You’ll be inspired by the strategies change-makers follow to build win-win partnerships and campaigns and their actionable advice for advancing your career and developing your social impact team. Subscribe now to learn from the best and get ideas you can implement today!