CATFA 043: Peer  Pressure
In this minute of Joe Johnston’s 2011 film ‘Captain America: The First Avenger,’ Steve dives in after Heinz’ sub, smashes the window, and pulls him out. Heinz kills himself with cyanide after revealing he’s with Hydra. Steve notices himself finally.
Minute Forty-Three: From Steve Taking the Plunge to Steve Noticing His New Size
Joining us on today’s episode, we have Colin Parker and James Anderson from the Timeline Scavengers podcast.
In the forty-third minute of Joe Johnston’s 2011 film Captain America: The First Avenger…
There was a line in the script that Steve didn’t know how to swim. Clearly, they dropped that because, well, it would’ve been nonsense to have him not only swim but swim really fast! Steve not only catches up to the Hydra submarine underwater, but also smashes the window with one punch, pulls Kruger out, then tosses him up onto the pier. We debate a bit about the toss – was Steve in the water? Already climbing up? Regardless, it feels cartoonish.
We then move to a conversation about Hydra, their logo, and their motto. How well do they all tie together? There’s some history, but it all still feels a bit muddled. There’s also reference to The Baader-Meinhof Complex and we start talking a bit about Steve noticing his new self.
Another fun minute and great conversation about it. Tune in!
Join the conversation with movie lovers from around the world on The Next Reel’s Discord channel!
- Watch this film: iTunes • Amazon • Netflix • YouTube • Disney+
- Join the conversation on Discord
- Trailer #1
- Trailer #2
- Poster artwork
- Original Material
- Season 5 Show Art by Winston Yabo. Find him on Instagram
- Season 5 Music: “Spread the News” by Anthony Vega. Find him on Instagram
- Colin on Twitter, Instagram and TikTok
- James on Twitter
- The Scavengers Network on the web and Twitter
- Timeline Scavengers podcast on the web and Twitter
- Myth Takes podcast
- It Jams For Thee podcast
- James and Erin Minute Movies
- Frankenstein’s Jukebox
- The Cyanide Tooth Is a Cold War Fairy-Tale