CATFA 045: His Own Playpen
In this minute of Joe Johnston’s 2011 film ‘Captain America: The First Avenger,’ Schmidt offers to show Team Kraftwerk his weapons and they have a conversation about great power, science, and magic. But what does Schmidt mean by ‘his’ enemies?
Minute Forty-Five: From Schmidt Taking the Team Into His Lab to Schneider Telling Schmidt He’s Mad
Joining us on today’s episode, we have Colin Parker and James Anderson from the Timeline Scavengers podcast.
In the forty-fifth minute of Joe Johnston’s 2011 film Captain America: The First Avenger…
Schmidt’s decision point. Was he always intending on taking the three SS officers into the lab, or was it Schneider bringing up ‘Red Skull’ that pushed him to it? Realistically, was he in a place where killing these three makes sense? Wouldn’t Hitler be checking up on these three? It really ends up feeling like plot just for the audience so we can see what he’s up to, but knowing there are a few years from here to when we see these weapons in use, it’s either a terribly slow communication system between Berlin and the Hydra Lab, or Hitler is very lethargic about making decisions when it comes to Schmidt. We also get into talking about the crazy level of Schmidt and what defines crazy anyway.
Lots of debate in this episode. Tune in!
Join the conversation with movie lovers from around the world on The Next Reel’s Discord channel!
- Watch this film: iTunes • Amazon • Netflix • YouTube • Disney+
- Join the conversation on Discord
- Trailer #1
- Trailer #2
- Poster artwork
- Original Material
- Season 5 Show Art by Winston Yabo. Find him on Instagram
- Season 5 Music: “Spread the News” by Anthony Vega. Find him on Instagram
- Colin on Twitter, Instagram and TikTok
- James on Twitter
- The Scavengers Network on the web and Twitter
- Timeline Scavengers podcast on the web and Twitter
- Myth Takes podcast
- It Jams For Thee podcast
- James and Erin Minute Movies
- Frankenstein’s Jukebox