Thor 083: How Did the Destroyer Get to Town So Quickly?
In this minute of Kenneth Branagh’s 2011 film ‘Thor,’ Thor reveals to his friends that he’s mortal, but that they can all help evacuate Puente Antiguo. So they do. The Destroyer arrives (very quickly!). Sif takes to the roofs, and the Warriors Three try some of their battle tactics. Robin Burdge from Karate Kid Minute and Travis Bow from Reel Comic Heroes, Marvel Events Timeline and Watchmen Minute join us today!
Minute Eighty-Three: From Thor’s Mortal Reveal to Volstagg’s Final Moment
Joining us to discuss Thor’s plan to save the people of Puente Antiguo, the Warriors Three and Sif’s plan to take on the Destroyer, and the results for Volstagg are Robin Burdge from Karate Kid Minute and Travis Bow from Reel Comic Heroes.
In the eighty-third minute of Kenneth Branagh’s 2011 film Thor…
- We’ve got a deleted scene! Darcy asks a sketchy stranger to take her dog… which she’s only had for a few seconds. It’s very odd and wasn’t in the script. Was this dog the one that was scripted to appear when the Destroyer first steps foot into Puente Antiguo?
- Thor asks his friends to fight the Destroyer so he can help the Midgardians evacuate the town. This stands out as a key moment for his growth.
- Does evacuating the town show that the Asgardians know the Destroyer is here? Does it seem presumptuous to evacuate?
- That being said, how does the Destroyer get here so quickly? A few seconds ago, it was miles out of town!
- The shots of the Destroyer in town really highlight the complexities of getting great shots and how that affects continuity… at least for nerds watching the movie one minute at a time.
- The 7-11 blows up. Robin talks a bit about the trope of blowing up 7-11s in movies.
- But why does the Destroyer blow it up? Is it just because of Loki’s “Destroy everything” command? Was it killing cows and blowing up cars and trees on its walk here?
- Again… HOW DOES IT GET HERE SO QUICKLY?
- The Warriors Three and Sif put a plan together to take out the Destroyer. Clearly, they have plans like this in their back pocket. Why this one? Have they seen the Destroyer in action before?
- Their plan doesn’t go well for Volstagg. We leave this minute with him lying on the front of a car after getting backhanded by the Destroyer, with the Destroyer looking down at him, ready to burn him to a crisp. Things don’t look good for ol’ Volstagg!
It’s a week of saving people and fighting the Destroyer, and Robin and Travis are here for all of it. Tune in!
Join the conversation with movie lovers from around the world on The Next Reel’s Discord channel!
- Watch this film: iTunes • Amazon • Netflix • YouTube • Disney+
- Join the conversation on Discord
- Script Transcript
- Trailer #1
- Trailer #2
- Poster artwork
- Original Material
- Reel Podcast Network
- Marvel Events Timeline
- Reel Comic Heroes on Instagram
- Marvel Events Timeline on Instagram
- Robin on Twitter and Letterboxd
- Karate Kid Minute
- Fright Night Minute
- Superman & Lois TV Talk