Developing the Skills of the Life-long Learner with Grant Lichtman
This week, we bring you part two of our conversation with Grant Lichtman, author of Moving the Rock: Seven Levers WE Can Press to Transform Education. In today’s show, Howard and Grant explore a few important questions for our K-12 and higher education leaders:
- What kinds of skills are needed by students beyond knowledge acquisition?
- What does it mean to develop the skills of a life-long learner in this age of accelerating change?
- How do we prepare students to have a resiliency in their capacity to remain open to learning and what happens to the institutions that don’t make this shift?
In the context of higher education, the struggle for change is happening on two fronts; how do institutions position themselves to attract students and families that celebrates their uniqueness in the market, and how do educators transition the classroom experience to one of deep learning, preparing graduates for complexity beyond the classroom? Together, Grant and Howard offer insights from their work that provides parallels between the effort to adapt that impacts K-12 and higher ed alike.
About Grant Lichtman
Grant Lichtman is an internationally-recognized thought leader on the transformation of K-12 education. His work with leadership and teams focuses on developing a comfort and capacity for innovation in a rapidly changing world. For almost 15 years, Grant was a trustee and senior administrator at one of the largest independent schools in the United States. Since 2012, Grant has visited more than 125 schools and districts, published three books, written numerous articles, and worked with thousands of school and community stakeholders to develop unique and powerful visions and strategies for transforming education away from the Industrial Age and towards future-focused models of deeper learning.
Links & Notes
- Moving the Rock: Seven Levers WE Can Press to Transform Education by Grant Lichtman
- Follow @GrantLichtman on Twitter
- “What We Can Learn from 60 Schools” — Grant Lichtman at TEDx Denver Teachers, 2013
- Navigating Change 66: The Future of Education with Grant Lichtman
- 00:00 – Introducing Grant Lichtman
- 00:54 – The Institutional Support Gap of the Life-Long Learner
- 03:24 – Stuck in the Valley of Incrementalism and the Power of the Revolution
- 06:56 – Are we trickling change up? Or trickling down?
- 09:30 – The K-12/College Relationship
- 13:58 – Learn more about Grant Lichtman
- 14:16 – Buy the Book
Exploring the complex waters of Higher Education.
Each week, Howard Teibel and guests dissect issues facing institutions and teams in transition and offer solutions for the most troubling process challenges.