Zero Zero Zero: zero emissions, zero crashes and zero congestion. This profound goal is CEO Mary Barra’s approach to reinventing General Motors for today, tomorrow, and the next 100 years.
Few industries have evolved as rapidly (and sometimes turbulently) as the automotive industry. In its 100-year history, GM has faced challenges, both internal (faulty ignition switches) and external (the recession). Yet today, the company is thriving. That’s in large part to Barra’s commitment to evolve GM’s culture, influence purpose-driven behaviors, and phase out processes that don’t support the company’s evolution.
In this episode, Tony Cervone, SVP of Global Communications, shares how GM’s commitment to “moving humanity forward” acts as a north star for the company to chart a bold and innovative path forward for not just GM, but the automotive industry as a whole.
Listen for Tony’s insights on:
- Using GM’s purpose and Zero Zero Zero commitment as filters for decision-making at all levels of the company.
- Balancing a parent company’s purpose with its consumer-facing brands in an authentic way.
- Shifting company culture by re-shaping company character and values, and equipping employees with the tools necessary to adopt them.
Resources + links
– GM Corporate Website
– GM 2017 Sustainability Report
– GM Social Investment Page
– GM’s Zero Zero Zero Ethos
– Connect with Tony Cervone on LinkedIn
– Cruise Self-Driving Cars
– Detroit Children’s Fund