"This drop of blood symbolizes your birth into our family. We are one until death. We protect you, so must you protect Prizzi honor. Do you swear it?"
It’s Valentine’s Day, and what better way to end our current John Huston series than with his 1985 romantic mafia comedy, Prizzi’s Honor? Huston was struggling with his health in the 80s but still a vibrant and essential director when he made this film that garnered 8 Oscar nominations. Join us — Pete Wright and Andy Nelson — as we celebrate love and death in this quirky film. We chat about what works and what doesn’t with the performances in the film, particularly Jack Nicholson’s and Anjelica Huston’s, and how essential they are in a film with such a variety of characters like this film has. We discuss what Huston was trying to say with the film and how it fits into his body of work. We talk about the amazing crew and what they bring to the table as well as the kudos they received for their work. And we chat about the nature of the story — a mafia comedy — and what Richard Condon, who wrote the novel on which it was based, was saying with the story. It’s a fun film and we have a great time talking about it. Check it out!
- Original theatrical trailer
- Original poster artwork
- Prizzi’s Honor: A Novel — by Richard Condon
Assorted Notes & Links
- “And the Award for the Next HBO Goes to…” — GQ.com. Pete mentions an uncredited quote from a Netflix exec regarding HBO. The quote is from this article and credited to Ted Sarandos, Netflix chief content officer: “The goal is to become HBO faster than HBO can become us.”
- Neilsen Adds Streaming Services Like Netflix And Xbox to Statistics, But Remains Limited — IBTimes.com
- House of Cards — Netflix.com
- Finding Vivian Maier — Trailer
- Finding Vivian Maier — Kickstarter campaign page