"Prepare to feel the wrath of the League of Evil Exes!"
After making Shaun of the Dead, Edgar Wright signed on to direct the adaptation of Bryan Lee O’Malley’s graphic novel “Scott Pilgrim’s Precious Little Life” but due to project delays, it would be another six years before his film would hit the screen. In the interim, Wright would continue his Cornetto trilogy with Hot Fuzz and O’Malley would nearly finish writing the other five volumes of his “Scott Pilgrim” series. That time also allowed Wright, O’Malley and screenwriter Michael Bacall to get the screenplay just right. Unfortunately, when the film was released in theatres, it never found its audience. But like any good cult film does, it has since found its legions of fans and supporters, proving that Wright and co. know how to put together a top-notch film even if it loses money at the box office. Join us – Pete Wright and Andy Nelson – as we do our second Listener’s Choice episode of the year with listener Nick Langdon’s pick, Wright’s 2010 film Scott Pilgrim vs. the World.
We talk about Wright’s style and all the visual, aural, animated and graphic tricks all through the film that work incredibly well for us, and marvel at how well Wright really taps into the world of these characters. We discuss the actors – from Michael Cera and Mary Elizabeth Winstead to Brandon Routh, Chris Evans and Jason Schwartzman – and look at what they bring to the table. We touch on the production and how all the different departments really came together to deliver something wholly unique. And we chat with Langdon about why he picked this movie and why it’s something special to him.
We have a great time discussing this film and everything Wright and team create for us. It’s a marvelous film and one well worth discussing. So check it out then tune in!
- Watch this film: iTunes • Amazon • [Netflix][netflix] • [Hulu]
- Script Transcript
- Original theatrical trailer
- Original poster artwork
- Art of the Title
- Scott Pilgrim’s Precious Little Box Set — Bryan Lee O’Malley
- Scott Pilgrim on Comixology
- Scott Pilgrim Alternate Ending
Trailers of the Week
- Andy’s Trailer: Woodshock — “Having taken classes in college with the great avant garde filmmaker Stan Brakhage, I have to say I’ve grown a real appreciation for artful films like this one looks like. The story sounds quite depressing but the artfulness of it looks gorgeous. I’m incredibly curious to see this one.”
- Pete’s Trailer: To the Bone — “Marti Noxon is behind some of my very favorite episodes of Buffy, Angel, Glee, Private Practice… she’s been all over TV for 25 years. To the Bone is her first feature, written and directed, and based on her history on the small screen that’s all I need to get into this movie. Tough subject, but Keanu’s playing it straight, and Lily Collins looks absolutely terrific.”