Minute Thirty-Four: From Climbing into the Rebirth Device to the Start of Erskine’s Speech
Joining us on the show today, we’re joined by Matthew Costello, author of ‘Secret Identity Crisis: Comic Books and the Unmasking of Cold War America’.
In the thirty-fourth minute of Joe Johnston’s 2011 film Captain America: The First Avenger…
We kick this minute off with a discussion about accents. Whose works the best in the film? Steve lays down in the cradle of the rebirth device and finds out that Dr. Erskine drank all the Schnapps. How does Erskine do at making Steve feel comfortable? Do you think Steve’s nervous when he sees Howard Stark’s involved? Is Howard nervous about his abilities to get the job done? Or is he just frustrated by the city of Brooklyn’s ability to live up to his standards? How about the microphone feedback trope? How about Erskine asking Agent Carter to leave? And we discuss the connection between Walt Disney and Howard Stark.
Steve’s getting ready for the big procedure! Tune in!
Join the conversation with movie lovers from around the world on The Next Reel’s Discord channel!
- Watch this film: iTunes • Amazon • Netflix • YouTube • Disney+
- Join the conversation on Discord
- Trailer #1
- Trailer #2
- Poster artwork
- Original Material
- Season 5 Show Art by Winston Yabo. Find him on Instagram
- Season 5 Music: “Spread the News” by Anthony Vega. Find him on Instagram
- Matthew’s book “Secret Identity Crisis: Comic Books and the Unmasking of Cold War America” on Biblio and on Amazon