A Better Way for Selfish Givers to Give Socially Responsible Gifts
Today on Cause Talk Radio, Megan and Joe talk to Dr. Lisa Cavanaugh of the University of Southern California’s Marshall School of Business about our favorite topic: selfish giving!
Lisa, along with Francesca Gino (Harvard Business School) and Gavan Fitzsimons (Fuqua School of Business) wrote When Doing Good Is Bad in Gift Giving: Mis-Predicting Appreciation of Socially Responsible Gifts.
Megan, Lisa, and Joe discuss:
- How it was Lisa’s own giving of socially responsible gifts that sparked her interest in exploring why they are given and how they are received.
- How the positive reception of a socially responsible gift depends on the social distance between you and the person that’s receiving the gift.
- Just how egocentric we are when choosing gifts for others and the importance of empathy for giving gifts the receiver will love.
- Other research Lisa has done and the power of one emotion: LOVE!
- Lisa’s advice for giving socially responsible gifts.
Links & Notes
Your resource for all things corporate social impact, CSR, and brand purpose.
Join Alli Murphy as she interviews top corporate leaders, nonprofit pros, and people who help them advance their careers and organizations. You’ll be inspired by the strategies change-makers follow to build win-win partnerships and campaigns and their actionable advice for advancing your career and developing your social impact team. Subscribe now to learn from the best and get ideas you can implement today!