Leading In Social Impact: Insights From Kevin Martinez, VP of Corporate Citizenship, ESPN
This is part two of our leadership series, where we bring you insights, tips, and stories from three social impact leaders who have made their mark in the business and nonprofit sectors.
- Artis Stevens, President & CEO of Big Brothers Big Sisters of America
- Kevin Martinez, VP of Corporate Citizenship at ESPN
- Julie Breckenkamp, Vice President of National Strategic Partnerships at CMN Hospitals
Each of these leaders offers their advice, shares mistakes they’ve made, discuss how they take care of their well-being and support their teams, and what’s on the horizon in our field.
In today’s episode, EFG’s Alli Murphy speaks with Kevin Martinez. As VP of Corporate Citizenship, he oversees all aspects of the company’s citizenship initiatives, including corporate giving, volunteerism, cause marketing, and sustainability.
As an industry veteran, Kevin is responsible for ESPN’s strategic programs that enable both greater access to sports and leadership through sports. He leads ESPN’s sponsorship of Special Olympics, which has helped more than 1.6 million athletes, teammates and coaches join the Unified Sports movement.
He also manages ESPN’s ongoing collaboration and fundraising efforts with the V Foundation, which have generated nearly $100 million toward cancer research programs.
Additionally, Kevin and ESPN received the 2023 Golden Halo Award for business, our highest honor for companies and causes engaged in activities that build a better world and the bottom line.
This episode is packed with valuable insights and tips for anyone interested in leadership and social impact; and you’ll learn a lot about Kevin’s leadership journey and the impact of his work at ESPN.
In today’s episode, we’ll explore:
- What Kevin has learned along his leadership journey
- How he focuses on his well-being
- How he took traits that could have held him back and turned them into strengths
- Why culture eats strategy for lunch
- The trends CSR and social impact pros should be paying attention to
- His advice for those looking to grow in their careers What he’ll be talking about at #EFG202
And so much more!
Links & Notes
- Kevin Martinez LinkedIn
- ESPN Corporate Citizenship
- ESPN Instagram
- Dune Litany Against Fear
- EFG Conference May 16 – 18, 2023
Elevate Your Social Impact
- Check out our annual conference!
- Sign up for Engage for Good’s newsletter
- Check out past podcast episodes
- Access free resources
- Check out our monthly webinars
- Let Alli know what you think of the show!
- (00:00) – Welcome to Engage for Good
- (01:02) – Introducing Kevin Martinez
- (07:46) – Favorite Mistakes
- (11:10) – Gaining Leadership Buyin
- (14:41) – Big Objectives for 2023
- (17:59) – The Golden Halo
- (19:37) – Making Well-Being a Priority
- (23:43) – “Culture Eats Strategy for Lunch”
- (28:47) – Trends in CSR and Social Impact
- (40:08) – Learn More
Your resource for all things corporate social impact, CSR, and brand purpose.
Join Alli Murphy as she interviews top corporate leaders, nonprofit pros, and people who help them advance their careers and organizations. You’ll be inspired by the strategies change-makers follow to build win-win partnerships and campaigns and their actionable advice for advancing your career and developing your social impact team. Subscribe now to learn from the best and get ideas you can implement today!