Proactive Crisis Response at Google.Org with Alex Díaz
Since 2005 Google.Org (Google’s philanthropic arm) has brought the best of Google to help solve some of humanity’s biggest challenges — combining funding, innovation and technical expertise to support underserved communities and provide opportunity for everyone.
In today’s episode, EFG’s Alli Murphy is joined by Alex Díaz, Head of Crisis Response and Humanitarian Aid at Google.org to talk about the work he and his team do, what he’s learned along the way and how companies can develop proactive crisis management strategies of their own.
Tune into today’s episode to learn all about:
- How Google responds to crises (and some of the criteria they use to make the decision)
- The work that goes in before a disaster strikes (including anticipatory action)
- How they help build resilient communities long after the news has left
- How companies can bolster their own crisis or disaster response programs
- The importance of building nonprofit partnerships proactively
- The full spectrum of a crisis timeline and the need to diversify funding across the disaster cycle
- How companies can leverage their various assets (not just cash)
- The impact of coupling dollars with volunteering
One thing we didn’t talk about is Google.Org’s response to Covid – but they’re doing a lot here too. Google.Org has committed $100 million and 50,000 hours of pro bono support to COVID-19 response including direct cash transfer which Alex mentions in this episode.
Links & Notes
- Google.Org on Twitter
- Google.Org Website
- Google on LinkedIn
- Google.Org’s COVID-19 Response
- Previous episode that references Google Fellows
- (00:08) – Welcome to Cause Talk Radio
- (02:44) – Crisis Response at Google
- (05:48) – Prework and Resiliency
- (10:12) – Thinking about Crisis Management When It Counts
- (11:24) – Partnerships
- (13:12) – Staffing for Crisis
- (14:52) – Improving your Crisis Response
- (20:02) – Internal Support and Mental Health
Your resource for all things corporate social impact, CSR, and brand purpose.
Join Alli Murphy as she interviews top corporate leaders, nonprofit pros, and people who help them advance their careers and organizations. You’ll be inspired by the strategies change-makers follow to build win-win partnerships and campaigns and their actionable advice for advancing your career and developing your social impact team. Subscribe now to learn from the best and get ideas you can implement today!