Workplace conflict is on the increase. According to a 2021 survey, 89% of employees from a diverse range of industries reported experiencing conflict at work, consuming 3.5 hours/week on average. Finding employees is challenging, making a calm workplace imperative if competitive advantage is to be gained. When incivility and bullies or other high conflict people are in the workplace, the impact goes deep.
In this episode Bill and Megan talk with guest Catherine Mattice, founder of Civility Partners, and author of Back Off! Your Kick-Ass Guide to End Bullying at Work. They will discuss:
- whether bullying is increasing
- the definition of bullying
- causes of bullying
- can it be eliminated?
- impact on others of bullying
- does coaching work?
- should a bully be terminated?
- should we have workplace bullying laws?
- creating a psychologically safe work environment
Catherine has a wealth of experience specifically in bullying, including the latest research.
Links & Other Notes
- BACK OFF! Your Kick-Ass Guide to Ending Bullying at Work
- It’s All Your Fault at Work! Managing Narcissists and Other High Conflict People
All of our books can be found in our online store or anywhere books are sold, including as e-books.
You can also find these show notes at our site as well.
Note: We are not diagnosing anyone in our discussions, merely discussing patterns of behavior.
Each week, Bill Eddy and Megan Hunter will be exploring the five types of people who can ruin your life — people with high conflict personalities — and how they weave themselves into our lives in romance, at work, next door, at school, places of worship, and just about everywhere, causing chaos, exhaustion, and dread for everyone else.