Minute Thirty-One: From Doors Shut in Faces to an Antique Entrance
Joining us on the show today, we’re joined by Matthew Costello, author of ‘Secret Identity Crisis: Comic Books and the Unmasking of Cold War America’.
In the thirty-first minute of Joe Johnston’s 2011 film Captain America: The First Avenger…
Peggy and Steve continue their drive to a mystery destination. Is this where the romance starts? Or is she still just seeing him as a scientific research subject? We discuss a bit about Matthew’s interest in the Cold War and how he’s integrated pop culture and comics into his studies and teachings. We also dig into Steve’s role as the everyman and how he works in this film as well as the franchise – as well as his twinning w/the Red Skull. But why would the everyman need a super soldier serum injection? To that end, what’s authentic in Steve? His heart? It’s very juju. We do ponder the fact that this is only eight days after we first met Steve.
Is this where the connection really begins? Tune in!
Join the conversation with movie lovers from around the world on The Next Reel’s Discord channel!
- Watch this film: iTunes • Amazon • Netflix • YouTube • Disney+
- Join the conversation on Discord
- Trailer #1
- Trailer #2
- Poster artwork
- Original Material
- Season 5 Show Art by Winston Yabo. Find him on Instagram
- Season 5 Music: “Spread the News” by Anthony Vega. Find him on Instagram
- Matthew’s book “Secret Identity Crisis: Comic Books and the Unmasking of Cold War America” on Biblio and on Amazon