CATFA 050: Bar Wipes and Star Wipes
Minute Fifty: From The Director Cutting to Punching Hitler in Philadelphia
Joining us on the show today and the rest of the week, it’s Jessica Plummer, author of Sword, Stone and Table as well as the host of Flights and Tights: A Superman Movie Podcast.
In the fiftieth minute of Joe Johnston’s 2011 film Captain America: The First Avenger…
The montage continues and we’re loving every minute of it. Steve and the actors who look curiously like the Howling Commandos get reprimanded by the director for looking into the camera. We love this Easter Egg and others like it. Plus, it’s a fun way to paint a picture of how performers like Steve were used in this period. The musical numbers get bigger and we enjoy the Busby Berkeley aspect to it. Clearly Joe Johnston does as well. No issues with the rhymes or meter in Menken’s and Zippel’s song today either! There’s some talk about the origins of wipes like the bar and radial wipes we see in the montage. And we question the strange travel pattern Steve and the Tour seems to be taking. And let’s not forget the inclusion of ‘Adolph Hitler’ in the tour now! Someone to punch!
Where else will Captain America punch Hitler? Tune in!
Join the conversation with movie lovers from around the world on The Next Reel’s Discord channel!
- Watch this film: iTunes • Amazon • Netflix • YouTube • Disney+
- Join the conversation on Discord
- Trailer #1
- Trailer #2
- Poster artwork
- Original Material
- Season 5 Show Art by Winston Yabo. Find him on Instagram
- Season 5 Music: “Spread the News” by Anthony Vega. Find him on Instagram
- Jessica on Twitter, Instagram, and BookRiot
- Sword, Stone and Table on Amazon and Bookshop
- Flights and Tights: A Superman Movie Podcast