Thor 064: Why Is Loki in the Fancy Midgardian Duds?
In this minute of Kenneth Branagh’s 2011 film ‘Thor,’ Loki tells Thor to not blame himself, even though he pretty much makes it seem like it’s all Thor’s fault. He even tells him Mom doesn’t want to see him return! Oh, Loki’s lies! so cold! Kyle Olson and Rob Kubasko from Marvel Movie Minute seasons two and three continue their round in the guest chairs today.
Minute Sixty-Four: From Blame to Apology
Joining us to dig into Loki’s lies – aka everything Loki says to Thor, and everything Loki means – are Rob Kubasko and Kyle Olson from MMM seasons 2 & 3!
In the sixty-fourth minute of Kenneth Branagh’s 2011 film Thor…
- We’ve got so much to break down with Loki’s lies throughout this minute.
- While we do, the music that plays is called Loki Lies.
- Too bad Loki doesn’t have anyone to talk with about what he’s done.
- We take each sentence Loki says to Thor and discuss what he’s actually saying.
- All of this is really Loki twisting the knife that he stuck in last minute.
- Loki’s great at putting things out there that gets things put into people’s heads.
- But should Thor know better about his brother by now?
- So Loki brings up Odin and tells Thor Odin wouldn’t acknowledge Thor’s love.
- He brings up Frigga and tells him she doesn’t want him to come home.
- Truly, he’s just the meanest.
- “The burden of the throne has fallen to me now.” So he’s even blaming Thor for him having to carry the weight of the throne? Again, he’s the worst.
- Tom Hiddleston plays each sentence in such unique ways. Kudos to both him and Branagh for directing him this way.
Thor finally speaks.
- Now that he knows Loki is king, Thor asks (kinda begs) Loki to come home. But Loki once again has excuses. Ouch.
- Loki’s lies really make him seem like he’s the only one who will deal with Thor at this point and those lies hurt Thor.
- It’s all gaslighting. Loki’s lies push Thor to a place where he feels he’s actually responsible.
- It comes across even meaner now that he knows he’s also the Jotun prince.
- Again, though, the big question we debate is if Thor should know better when things like this come from Loki.
- We certainly feel like it’s Thor’s blind spot.
It’s a juicy minute of Loki’s lies as he lays into Thor with all the reasons he can’t come home. Tune in!
Join the conversation with movie lovers from around the world on The Next Reel’s Discord channel!