Thor 074: How Many RomCom Tropes Can They Squeeze Into This Minute?
In this minute of Kenneth Branagh’s 2011 film ‘Thor,’ it’s romance on the roof! Jane and Thor have a delightfully romantic conversation by the fire pit on the roof of Smith Motors. Thor gives Jane her journal that he retrieved from the SHIELD Crater Base, but Jane mopes about how they’ll never let her research see the light of day. Bubbawheat from the Flights, Tights and Movie Nights podcast joins us on this episode!
Minute Seventy-Four: From A Fireside Connection to Some SHIELD Frustration
Joining us to discuss the RomCom Tropes-filled relationship between Jane and Thor, Jane’s journal, and her anger at SHIELD is Bubbawheat from the Flights, Tights and Movie Nights podcast.
In the seventy-fourth minute of Kenneth Branagh’s 2011 film Thor…
- Wow, is this minute overloaded with RomCom tropes! Matthew runs through a list of many of them. They make for great conversation topics for sure.
- Interesting that Jane says, “I’m really glad that you’re safe,” instead of, “I’m really glad that you’re okay.” There’s an interesting irony there, particularly knowing what Loki’s plotting for Thor.
- Thor seems to have working on looking internally here.
- One of the tropes? That special something she’s been looking for that he’s found and gets for her.
- We all love Jane’s 4-color BIC pen so much.
- The firelight… so romantic…
- The only trope we’re missing is the ‘I feel like I’ve known you forever’ trope.
- Again… Patrick Doyle’s score… so good…
- We talk about how Thor really has so much empathy now. It’s great to see.
- Jane’s struggling about something that has nothing to do with him, and he’s interested. Another trope.
Jane’s afraid SHIELD won’t let her research see the light of day.
- Is it that they’ll hide it? Or use it for their own evil purposes?
- This does feel like that element of SHIELD that’s run by Hydra agents.
- We debate any potential storyline with Jane’s father and Erik and connections to SHIELD they may have had in their past.
We’ve got more romance, a special gift, and some anger at the government to talk about with Bubbawheat today. Tune in!
Join the conversation with movie lovers from around the world on The Next Reel’s Discord channel!
- Watch this film: iTunes • Amazon • Netflix • YouTube • Disney+
- Join the conversation on Discord
- Script Transcript
- Trailer #1
- Trailer #2
- Poster artwork
- Original Material
- Icelandic Pronunciations!
- Bubbawheat on Twitter
- Flights, Tights & Movie Nights
- Flights, Tights & Movie Nights Facebook Group
- Filmwhys podcast
- It’s Time to Rewind podcast