Thor 098: Where Did Loki Learn to Fight Like This?
In this minute of Kenneth Branagh’s 2011 film ‘Thor,’ Thor and Loki fight until Thor knocks them both out of the Observatory where Loki nearly falls off the bridge. Dr. Arnold Blumberg joins us for this minute.
Subscribe to the Marvel Movie Minute in Apple Podcasts, Spotify, or anywhere else you find your favorite podcasts!
Support The Next Reel Family of Film Podcasts • Learn More or Subscribe Now: One-Reeler $1/mo or Two-Reeler $5/mo
Minute Ninety-Eight: From An Aerial Assault to A Low Blow
Joining us to discuss the fighty-fighty fight is Dr. Arnold Blumberg, publisher, author, educator, pop culture & comics historian, and friendly neighborhood zombie expert.
In the ninety-eighth minute of Kenneth Branagh’s 2011 film Thor…
- We debate the power of fights in these types of movies. Is there more they could do?
- Thor and Loki leaping at each other has a Big Trouble in Little China vibe.
- In context of all these fights, this one lands a bit in the middle. Not the best, not the worst.
- We walk through a few shots just to better understand what’s happening.
- Because Loki wields Gungnir during this fight, does that give him the fighting power he needs to match against Thor? Otherwise, why doesn’t he use more of his cunning style of fighting? Spinning on a spear? That doesn’t seem like Loki.
- It just seems like such a physical fight for Loki.
- But he is pouring all of his rage from a lifetime against Thor.
- And Thor does say he won’t fight his brother, so perhaps he’s also holding back a bit.
- How low a blow is it for Loki to bring Jane into it?
Thor blasts Loki through the wall of the Observatory.
- Loki falls off the edge, grabbing on at the last minute. He begs Thor to help him. Thor does, and Loki disappears. Turns out, this was all Loki’s magic to trick his brother.
- This is a perfect example of how we expect Loki to fight. It makes more sense than the other type of fighting.
- Thor falls for his brother’s trick and gets stabbed for it.
- So great seeing all the Lokis appear. What an expression of ego! Makes so much sense for him.
- Does Thor knocking them both through the wall start the Observatory to break down and potentially destroy Asgard as well?
It’s the required MCU fighty fight and Dr. Arnold Blumberg’s here for it. Tune in!
Join the conversation with movie lovers from around the world on The Next Reel’s Discord channel!
- Watch this film: iTunes • Amazon • Netflix • YouTube • Disney+
- Join the conversation on Discord
- Script Transcript
- Trailer #1
- Trailer #2
- Poster artwork
- Original Material
- Dr. Arnold Blumberg on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram
- ATB Publishing
- Ghouls in the House podcast
- Pickles & Bean comic
- Journey of the Living Dead
The Hammer Falls.
Matthew Fox and Andy Nelson are on an in-depth, minute-by-minute exploration of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. This season, our superhero also happens to be a god.