How Kohl’s & Alliance For A Healthier Generation Are Getting People “Healthy At Home”
Kohl’s and Alliance for a Healthier Generation began their partnership when Kohl’s hit a plateau after opening 100 stores a year. The retailer was also transitioning its corporate social impact work from mothers and children to focusing on families in all their forms.
It was the perfect time in each organization’s journey to partner. Healthier Generation’s work was primarily done in schools at that point, and Kohl’s was able to help the nonprofit expand beyond that to reach communities in other places.
Their first initiative – Kohl’s Healthy at Home – was a series of three campaigns that began in 2019 and included a $2 million commitment. Their subsequent campaigns and $5 million commitment took lessons from their first year and the realities of a global pandemic to develop year-round content that:
- reaches communities where they are
- centers health equity
- focuses on BIPOC and historically marginalized communities
In today’s episode, EFG’s Alli Murphy is joined by Kathy Higgins, CEO of Alliance for a Healthier Generation, and Tara Geiter, Director of Community Relations at Kohl’s, to talk about the inception of their partnership and how their campaigns, and work, have evolved over the years.
In today’s episode, we’ll explore:
- Kohl’s CSR journey and transition to focus on families
- How the organizations expanded their resources to cater to BIPOC communities
- The value of listening
- Insights into Kohl’s nonprofit vetting process
- Kathy & Tara’s advice for building partnerships that center equity, diversity and inclusion
Links & Notes
- Kohl’s Corporate Website
- Alliance for a Healthier Generation Website
- Alliance for a Healthier Generation Facebook
- Alliance for a Healthier Generation Instagram
- Alliance for a Healthier Generation Twitter
Elevate Your Social Impact
- Sign up for Engage for Good’s newsletter
- Check out past podcast episodes
- Access free resources
- Check out our monthly webinars
- Let Alli know what you think of the show!
- (00:00) – Welcome to Engage for Good
- (01:55) – Introducing Kathy Higgins and Tara Geiter
- (05:07) – How do you land a corporate partner?
- (14:12) – Bringing the Campaigns to Life
- (24:08) – Advice for Developing a Great Partnership
- (29:48) – Learn More
Your resource for all things corporate social impact, CSR, and brand purpose.
Join Alli Murphy as she interviews top corporate leaders, nonprofit pros, and people who help them advance their careers and organizations. You’ll be inspired by the strategies change-makers follow to build win-win partnerships and campaigns and their actionable advice for advancing your career and developing your social impact team. Subscribe now to learn from the best and get ideas you can implement today!