How To Make Your Next Fundraising Event A Hole In One
In 2019, 34.2 Million people in the US played golf. During the pandemic, that number grew since golf courses provide a fantastic opportunity for socially-distanced gatherings. In 2021, that number increased from 34.2 million to 37.5 million. And while that is great news for golfers and those that fundraise through golf events, the even better news for those of you who don’t know the first thing about golf is that you don’t need to know anything about the sport to start setting up a successful tournament that raises serious funds for a nonprofit.
In today’s episode, EFG’s Alli Murphy is joined by Brian Schenk, Chief Philanthropy Officer at Dormie Network, and Logan Foote, Education and Development Manager at GolfStatus, to talk about how to use golf for fundraising, corporate partnerships, and CSR.
Dormie Network is a national network of clubs combining the experience of destination golf with the premier hospitality of private membership. GolfStatus is the leading event management platform for golf fundraisers.
In today’s episode, we’ll cover:
- What Dormie Day of Giving is and how it fits into the Dormie Foundation
- How Dormie Network leverages golf to donate $4.8 million in gifts in kind and raise $3.2 million in cash in hand
- How golf events can help nonprofits open doors to corporate partnerships
- What to include in sponsorship packages
- Brian & Logan’s advice for setting up your first tournament
- Lessons the duo learned along the way
- Why you don’t need to know anything about golf to run a successful tournament
This episode is brought to you by GolfStatus. If your golf tournament raises money for a charity or nonprofit, you can qualify for access to GolfStatus’s event management and fundraising platform through the Golf for Good program at no cost.
Links & Notes
Elevate Your Social Impact
- Join 500+ of your corporate social impact peers at EFG2022 in Atlanta this May
- Sign up for Engage for Good’s newsletter
- Check out past Cause Talk Radio episodes
- Access free resources
- Check out our monthly webinars
- Let Alli know what you think of the show!
- 00:00 – Welcome to Engage for Good
- 04:20 – The Golf Demo
- 06:36 – Fundraising on the Course
- 08:29 – Dormie Day of Giving
- 16:22 – Lessons Learned
- 18:54 – What makes a great tournament?
- 20:44 – Building Relationships on the Course
Your resource for all things corporate social impact, CSR, and brand purpose.
Join Alli Murphy as she interviews top corporate leaders, nonprofit pros, and people who help them advance their careers and organizations. You’ll be inspired by the strategies change-makers follow to build win-win partnerships and campaigns and their actionable advice for advancing your career and developing your social impact team. Subscribe now to learn from the best and get ideas you can implement today!